PIGMENTATION & MELASMA
Freckles may look cute on the curly haired 5 year old but any skin discolourations is a bane to any adult’s life. Who would have thought that more people seeking to improve their looks, are increasingly more concerned about pigmentation than they are with wrinkles? There are many over-the-counter skin lighteners that claim to even-out, brighten and lighten facial skin. Although they may have some noticeable effect with mild conditions, most hyper-pigmentations needs a little more help.
WHAT CAUSES HYPER-PIGMENTATION?
HORMONAL OR PREGNANCY PIGMENTATION (MELASMA OR CHLOASMA)
- Caused by hormonal fluctuations during pregnancy or caused by hormonal contraceptive use.
- Can have a mask-like appearance over the forehead, cheeks and upper chin.
- Very common in darker skin types.
POST-INFLAMMATORY HYPER-PIGMENTATION (PIHP)
- These dark spots can appear in areas where inflammation was present, such as acne or scars.
- Might occur after peeling or laser treatments.
- Common for darker skins.
PHOTO-PIGMENTATION OR SUN DAMAGE (SUN-SPOTS)
- These are dark spots caused by UV (Ultra-Violet) rays. Common for lighter skin types.
MEDICAL TREATMENTS FOR PIGMENTATION OF THE SKIN
- Reducing inflammation – Topical natural anti-inflammatories and anti-oxidants such as berry extracts or VitC.*
- Treating melanin in cells – Laser (intense light) therapies, Chemical Peels or Cryotherapy.*
- Rejuvenating old, pigment containing cells – With fruit acids, peels and VitA.*
- Prevent further melanin formation – We can administer topical ingredients that are known to inhibit this process (liquorice, bearberry, arbutin, kojic acid etc.).*
In conjunction, we use our extensive integrative medicine knowledge to prescribe skin renewal supplements. This will help reduce heavy pigmentation that is not responsive to other treatments. We will apply the latest anti-aging procedures that are available. We’ll also educate you extensively in the origin of your pigmentation and recommend the best preventative lifestyle choices and products.
8thSense understands pigmentation. Careful diagnosis is our priority. We strive to deliver appropriate, holistic and customised facial pigmentation treatments to each individual patient.